Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Weekend Retreat



In the city of High Point North Carolina used to be an old tourist attraction most likely from the 1930's-1940's from my best guess and is unknown by many to this day as Carter Town, it sat on the outskirts of the city limits though only about a ten minute drive from the cities center.
I was fortunate back in the 1980's to know someone who owned the land that purchased it from the family who once owned and operated it for many years, it was a small scale place most likely known only to local families and groups during its hey day, it sat off the main road on some old farm property as a dirt road took you down to the old mill and covered bridge (shown here), there also were numerous old structures and cabins on the land some that were relocated from other areas in the county and were set up as part of the exhibit.

From what I understand the creek was used for gold panning during the 1800's and also years later when it became an attraction but as time went on its wealth dwindled away, though I admit I had to gold pan it for myself a few times to make sure, unfortunately with zero results.

The old Ford truck belonged to me and made a great prop for the shot while I spent many of weekends there as sort of a cheap getaway, the last I heard about this place after I moved away was that my friend sold it to someone in the 1990's and I think it was scheduled to be torn down soon afterward.

I was fortunate enough to be part of its memories even though it was just for a few short years, I wish I knew more about its history but I'm having no luck researching it online.

5 comments:

venita said...

nice picture, very nice

Richard Rizzo said...

Thank you Venita, It was a great place to hang out on weekends and most relaxing.

Sandy's network said...

Great shot and story. The black and white really makes this photo.

Susan Morton said...

Hi. Are you ready to sing "It's a small world"? My Pop-Pop, Millard Bodenheimer, was the "friend" you had that owned Carter Town. I found your pictures because I too was trying to find online information. I would very much like to use the photos on my Facebook page with a link back to your blog. Would you allow that? You can answer here or e-mail me privately at weluvanimation@gmail.com You may also send a FB friend request to me if you want. I do not know if the new owner ever tore it down, I know in 1999 some of the buildings were still standing. I think someone in my family took a picture of the covered bridge last year. The city finally built new roads in that area and tore down the red barn facing Baker Road. That was Pop-Pop's too. I do not recall any ghost stories connected to the property. I can ask my Mom if she knows of any.
Susan Morton

Rich Rizzo said...

Hi Susan feel free to post it on your FB page with the link back to the blog.
I'm happy to hear from someone who also knew about this place.
I'm happy to hear that it still stands as of 1999 anyways.
Feel free to post any more news of it or stories that your mom remembers here if you want, I would enjoy that.